University Transition Program
This program facilitates the transition into college and improves the likelihood of success in college. Affiliated Blind of Louisiana in conjunction with The University of Louisiana, Lafayette, and South Louisiana Community College, offer an opportunity for blind, visually impaired, and low vision college-bound students to get their feet wet in college life and learn critical blindness-related skills.
Students will learn about the UL campus, UL computing systems, office for students with disabilities, testing center, Dupre` Library, and other important features of the University. At the same time, students will learn about adaptive technology, note-taking strategies, and how to be a successful blind student.
Transition Program components include:
- Room and board for the duration of the program
- Familiarization to the campus- either ULL or SLCC
- Enrollment in one basic level course (eligible for full university credit)
- Introduction to the Services for Disabled Students Office
- Familiarization to the University Computer System
- Instruction on the University E-mail system
- Study/Organizational Skills
- Orientation and Mobility training
- Adaptive Technology Instruction
- Home and Personal Management
- Communications instruction (Braille, note-taking strategies, digital recorder use, etc.)
- Time Management
- Money Management Training
Duration of training is the length of the college semester plus one to two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. The cost of the training will be provided at ABL's regular residential monthly tuition rates.